[ExI] Critics view of TED lectures

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Dec 31 13:39:49 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-31 11:54, BillK wrote:
> Science, philosophy and technology run on the model of American Idol –
> as embodied by TED talks – is a recipe for civilisational disaster

Yup. No time for questions, emphasis on wow. I actually called it mental
pornography in an ethics blog post this summer (
http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2013/07/censorship-pornography-and-divine-swan-on-human-action/
)

I will also speak at TEDx Oxford on the 26th of January. Go figure :-)

> Because, if a problem is in fact endemic to a system, then the
> exponential effects of Moore's law also serve to amplify what's
> broken. It is more computation along the wrong curve, and I don't it
> is necessarily a triumph of reason.

This is an interesting and important point. Of course, if things just
broke when inherent contradictions became untenable everything would be
fine - we would have Schumpeterian creative destruction. Instead we get
problems that also mutate as fast as we try to understand them. Obesity
today is not obesity 20 years ago, surveillance today is entirely
different from 20 years ago.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute