[ExI] Google Air

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 17:18:22 UTC 2013

________________________________
From: spike <spike66 at att.net>
To: 'The Avantguardian' <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>; 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:59 PM
Subject: RE: [ExI] Google Air

Funny but the way I interpreted their comments was that they were bound and determined to peel off all of Hangar One's skin but they might rent it to us in the future if and when they reskined it but they weren't sure what they were going to do. They certainly followed through with the peeling part of the plan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hangar_One_September_2012_-_2.jpg

I don't suppose they have started reskinning it eh?

Interestingly enough here is an overview of NASA's plan:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=historicproperties.arc.nasa.gov%2F...%2Fhangar1_carp_20111215.pdf&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhistoricproperties.arc.nasa.gov%2Fdownloads%2Fhangar1_carp_20111215.pdf&ei=k8kXUdmLL8LIiwKTxoGQAg&usg=AFQjCNH4a451UdNinMsf68XU1Fmt2Ige_A&bvm=bv.42080656,d.cGE

Of the options on page 92, only the ones that keep it in use as an airship hangar will be of any use to us. But I would opt to *modernize* it in lieu of restoring it to historical specs.

> Google is the real company that Ames had on the hook the whole time, ja?  That is a good example of why engineers hire business people, then call them "boss."

Yeah but it looks like Google got away. Maybe NASA scared off Google by trying to get them to pay for the refurbishment of Hangar One. Of course Google just wants to park a 737, not a megawatt class sunship.

Stuart LaForge

“The future starts today, not tomorrow.”- Karol Józef Wojtyla