[ExI] scientific ignorance in the usa

david deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 12 07:17:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:10:21 -0800
"spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> I don't know a more appalling example than a new anchor asking if
> meteors are a result of global warming:
>

> http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-02/cnn-anchor-wonders-bill-nye-di
> d-global-warming-send-asteroid-near-earth
>

> Notice Bill Nye struggling to rescue the silly goof with that
> meteorology root word comment.  He is such a nice guy.  The ignorance
> displayed by this anchor must set a record of some kind.
>

> spike

Hi,

In Oz that site redirects to popsci.com.au, who don't have the article.
For those not in the US who would like to see the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxe8_auu8YU

Text of the article below:

CNN Anchor Asks Bill Nye If Global Warming Had Anything To Do With A
Near-Earth Asteroid

by Noah Rothman | 9:44 am, February 10th, 2013

Those who believe that global warming is dire, warn that this
phenomenon represents a major threat to life on earth but is global
warming also a threat beyond our planet? On the face of it, the
“global” aspect of global warming would lead one to believe that the
threat of climate change is somewhat localized. For one CNN anchor,
however, the challenges posed by global warming extend out into the
solar system where they somehow created the circumstances that led to a
near-earth asteroid just missing the planet.

RELATED: Andrea Mitchell Asks Al Gore How A Global Warming ‘Prophet’
Could Sell His Network To Oil Producing Nation

After wrapping up a Saturday afternoon segment on the impact climate
change may have had on the extreme winter weather that hit the
Northeast this weekend, CNN anchor Deb Feyerick turned to a feature on
a large asteroid that will just miss earth as it passes by.

“We want to bring in our science guy, Bill Nye, and talk about
something else that’s falling from the sky, and that is an asteroid,”
said Feyerick. “What’s coming our way? Is this the effect of, perhaps,
global warming? Or is this just some meteoric occasion?”

“Except it’s all science,” Nye said rescuing Feyerick. “The word
meteorology and the word meteor come from the same root, so…”

Nye went on to discuss the asteroid which has missed impacting earth by
15 minutes. He says if this body were to impact over a populated area
like New York City, that municipality would be completely leveled.

Watch the clip below via CNN: