[ExI] Where are they? was Re: 2^57885161-1

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 15 10:33:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:13:15AM +0000, BillK wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Keith Henson  wrote:
> > What is the one thing an intelligent species would value most?  I
> > think intelligence itself would be the common trait.
> >
> > That leads to uploading and speeding up to where the rest of the
> > universe recedes out of reach.

Yeah, just as we all live in one big city. Wait, we don't.
It seems that we're fine with local communication asynchrony.

> Yes, if intelligences speed up, then that makes journey times longer
> by the same factor.

Immanuel Kant almost never left Königsberg.

> A large enough speedup effectively 'freezes' the physical universe.

Of course.

> This implies that thinking and action will all take place in a virtual
> universe created by the high speed intelligences. (As they cannot

No, because you ignore the physical layer something will eat you.

> interact with a frozen universe). If they are living in a virtual
> universe, this would explain why they don't bother sending packages to

No, it wouldn't.

But it would explain a lot about you, particularly your inability
to learn.

> other stars.
>
> If this intelligence speedup is the future of all intelligent life,
> then there could be billions of virtual civilisations floating around
> in the vastness of space.

And the universe would be full of very peculiar stellar-output FIR
sources. There aren't, so you're wrong.