[ExI] (NASA.gov) NASA to chronicle close Earth flyby of asteroid (fwd)

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Feb 15 10:34:49 UTC 2013

And at the same time, we miss the approach of a meteor that actually
manages to do some material damage with the sonic boom:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/feb/15/meteorite-explosion-shakes-russian
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html
Thanks to all the dashcams we got great footage.

Looks to me like a single bolide, probably a great deal smaller than
2012 DA 14 but dense enough to detonate much deeper in the atmosphere.
And as Phil Plait points out, the trajectory is very different from DA
14, so it is likely unrelated (many asteroids are doubles).

> The emergencies ministry described Friday's events as a "meteor shower
> in the form of fireballs" and said background radiation levels were
> normal.
- which is pretty hilarious given the radioactivity in the environment
around Chelyabinsk (Mayak/Ozersk, "The Most Contaminated
Spot on the Planet" is 80 km north).

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute