[ExI] A Vindication of the Rights of Machines

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 17:38:33 UTC 2013

On 12 February 2013 10:38, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>  Personally I think machine rights make sense when the machine can
> understand them, something that is pretty far away (AGI complete?). Some
> machines might be moral patients (i.e. we might not be morally allowed to
> treat them badly, for some kinds of bad) much earlier - I am arguing this
> especially for early uploading experiments, but it might apply to some
> other systems.

Mmhhh. Having "rights" and being moral agents (or patients) are entirely
different things.

Corporation, eg, have rights, but are not moral agents per se. Slaves are
moral agents but do not have rights.

As to machines, I think we will give them "rights" as soon as it becomes a
simpler way to describe what can or cannot legally be done with them.
Irrespective of their "moral" position.

--
Stefano Vaj