[ExI] 3d printing a Curta

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 01:08:13 UTC 2013

Given a decent "spec" like this (or better if necessary)
http://www.vcalc.net/cu.htm

How difficult would it be to print one of these amazing devices, even
with some assembly required?

Also given prices like these:
http://home.comcast.net/~timewise1/curta/curtasforsale.html

I'm not saying to make replica or knockoffs...  but at those prices I
may never afford to "play" with this mechanical marvel.  I think this
would be a fun toy project.  Of course at the moment I'd still need
considerable cash to purchase the 3d printer, but from what I
understand they're coming to shops in towns near you soon.  (much like
a Kinko's or a Staples, etc. you would submit your 3d print job to a
queue and pick up when complete.)

Are there any legal / IP restrictions from doing something like this?

What other nerd toys would you 3d print just for kicks?

I'd probably print a bunch of Lego blocks that never existed that I
always wished for.  :)