[ExI] Where are they? was Re: 2^57885161-1

spike spike at rainier66.com
Wed Feb 20 05:56:16 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:56 PM
To: 'ExI chat list'
Subject: Re: [ExI] Where are they? was Re: 2^57885161-1

... On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> 2^200 is about 1^60

You're missing a 0 there, I think.

Doh!

>...Actually I am missing an E with an extra ^.  But missing a 0 works too.
10^60 or 1E60...

I made another mistake in that original post.  I said in one place square cm
seconds, but calculated square millimeter-seconds, so the cm should have
been mm, all numbers the same.  So using all those estimates, I get about
1E61 mm^2-seconds since a few billion years after the big bang.  So if you
had coin-flips, one every perfectly arbitrary measure of a square millimeter
on every orbiting body per perfectly arbitrary time span of one second, then
you get about 1e61 coin flips in the last 10 billion years.

If your mind is insufficiently blown by that, consider the GIMPS project.
With the rate at which it is searching for new record primes, the size of
the numbers it is checking generally increases by a factor of 1E61, that is
to say they become 1E61 times larger about every 20 minutes, day and night,
3600/24/365, year after year, every 20 minutes getting larger by a factor
approximated by the number of square millimeters on every planet in the
observable universe times the number of seconds since there was enough
non-hydrogen and non-helium to start forming actual planets, so you
extra-terrestrial bastards wanting to invade this lonely planet better watch
yourselves, we have 48 Mersenne primes, the largest with over 17 million
decimal digits, which means we have a scary amount of intellectual and
computing resources to squander on fun silliness.