[ExI] insanity plea

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sun Feb 24 15:35:28 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj

>.http://thecriminallawyer.tumblr.com/post/18951395853/excuse-defenses-part-
11-excuse-me
(about halfway down) for a nice explanation. Including of why insanity
rarely works as an excuse. Conversely, it is totally possible to be too
unstable own a gun (say having severe personality disorders) and yet be
legally sane. -- Stefano Vaj

Ja.  If we presume to set up a number of different varieties of crazy, I can
see a hundred ways this whole notion could go seriously wrong.  In the US,
gun ownership and voting are considered constitutional rights for those who
have not been convicted of a felony.  In introducing a new category of those
whose gun rights are to be infringed, it seems logical to me that if anyone
is too crazy to have a gun, then they are definitely too crazy to vote.

If they fail their background check to own a gun, then they are also too
crazy to work for me; I will not hire.  We are heading toward a requirement
for universal background checks for anyone wanting to buy a gun.  These I
favor, for there are a number of non-evil uses I can think of in providing
complete public access to everyone's arrest records and mental health
records.  I will start by revealing my own: I have never been arrested or
consulted a mental health professional.  There, see that didn't hurt a bit.