[ExI] BBC on space solar

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:01:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:00 AM,  "J.R. Jones" <mrjones2020 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Henrique Moraes Machado <
> cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But with huge technological and
>> financial challenges,
>>
> This is the story we're fed, but I can never embrace it.  We don't lack the
> finances to do this...we lack the cooperation to do it.  That, and those in
> power have no incentive really to make it happen.  In fact, they have a lot
> at stake, and benefit more from it NOT happening.

Until recently, a year ago, there was no way known for the project to
make sense in economic terms.

The problem, which has been understood for a long time, is that the
transport to GEO has to get down to $100/kg for power satellites to
become a viable source of energy.  That's possible using laser
propulsion.  The Chinese may be counting on that or they may have
figured out some other method to get the cost down.  In any case, the
social dynamics are different in China, and they have energy problems
to the point power satellites are one of very few options.  It looks
like they were serious in the announcement they made last Nov.

What will be most interesting to watch (if they do intend to use
propulsion lasers) is how long it takes the US to wake up to the
military implications.