[ExI] tests again

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 1 06:57:53 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2012 10:06 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] tests again

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>> The test response will be recorded and I will subjectively evaluate

>...who, will?

>...Whoever or whatever is grading the test, if their own subjectivity is to
be relied upon, needs some knowledge of the domain.  (Grading without such
knowledge only seems possible for objective tests.)  Are you sufficiently
knowledgeable in all fields?

I would distribute the results of a specific question to a hiring manager.
Actually I don't need to evaluate the overall test at all.  If I derive a
test with the help of twenty hiring managers, I would then only need to
archive the results.  The hiring manager could go into the database and
download the responses for all the questions 37, 55 and 73 for instance,
these being the questions that she wrote or influenced.  She may not care
how the rest of the test was answered.  Good point, and good idea regarding
distributing the responses.

I like the way this whole idea is taking shape.

>...Further, do you have the time to grade a million tests this way each
day?

Oh my, this isn't on that scale.  I had in mind about 100 test takers per
month or so.

>...  Subjectivity is notoriously hard to automate, and whether or not it's
right or should be that way, the reality is that education is done on the
cheap, with resulting extremely limited resources, and that's unlikely to
change soon.  Adrian

Ja, this entire exercise has been most educational for me.  We haven't begun
to take advantage of the resources at our disposal, evaluation of job
applicants using the technologies enabled by desktop computers and internet
connections.