[ExI] cryonics vs. chemopreservation

Joshua Job nanite1018 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 20:18:54 UTC 2013

Oops, accidentally sent a copy of this from my other email account, which
isn't on the ExI list. Sorry!

-----
Actually, there are two groups working on such a project, though not using
chemopreservation.

David Dalrymple is using optogenetics to upload the mind if a c. elegans
worm. He anticipates completion in a couple of years.

http://syntheticneurobiology.org/people/display/144/26

And Openworm is working on building a complete and detailed simulation of
c. elegans.

http://www.artificialbrains.com/openworm

I think one of the reasons Dalrymple is not using chemopreservation is
because we simply don't know enough about neurons to look at them and build
a model of their behavior. So he is going to essentially watch the worms
think and use an algorithm that builds a functional model of each synapse
based on the observed behavior (combined with all available biophysical
data).
-Joshua Job

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Pathogenic%20bacteria%20induce%20aversive%20olfactory%20learning