[ExI] cryonics vs. chemopreservation

Joshua Job joshjob42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:26:50 UTC 2013

It is really hard to slice a glass or ice into micron thick sheets without
fracturing, and that's a necessary step when tracing the connectome. That,
and they also have to dye the brain tissue before putting it under the
microscope, and you can't do that with a frozen brain. Cyropreservation
probably also changes the morphology of the neurons a good deal too (either
due to ice crystal formation or dehydration) whih would make figuring out
the connectome harder (though obviously not impossible), and it's already a
hard enough task.
-Joshua Job.