[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 18 11:49:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 09:09:26PM -0500, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 4 times as many solar cells as we'd need at peak, a 300,000 watt system
> > might do, that's 30,000 square feet of solar cells or a solid square with a
> > 173 foot edge. I didn't factor in clouds, I figured you'd want to build it
> > Incidentally at the latest count there are 1,000,000,000 working cars on
> > this planet. I didn't try to calculate how many solar cells you'd need to
> > run a blast furnace at a steel mill, or a 747.
>
> I want to see the blueprint for a solar-powered 747.  I imagine it has

You've already seen it. All current 747s are solar powered.

It's just really old, really tired sunlight, converted at
an abysmal efficiency and packed in dirty drek underground,
so we've burned through worth a gigayear of it within a
mere century.

So as that there's not much more where that came from, gee,
it's not as you've got any other options. At all.

So man up, and learn to use current-day solar. You don't have
all that much time left.

They say who that laughs last, laughs best. So I hope that you
can still laugh, since it indicates that you've made the switch
while it was still possible.

I can tell you at a billion or two of people won't be laughing
all that much, when they starve. All thanks to allthe jokers who's
been laughing at renewable since 1970s.

Haha! That's a reall killer of a joke, ahahahahahah.