[ExI] instilling ambition

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Jan 20 15:39:47 UTC 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> On 19/01/2013 21:19, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> > > Any other ideas of how to instil grand ambition in people? Force
> > > them to read a bit of Rand, Nietzsche or von Braun?
> > Not sure about Rand, but Nietzsche and von Braun have been my idols
> > since age 14... :-)
>
> It would be interesting to see when great ambition is founded in life. I

Ambitions. But not curiosity? Eh.

The choice of wording is... interesting.

What kind of people will they be - very wanting but not really
understanding what they want and too stupid to learn who wanted what
before them, how they made it or how they failed.

Myself, I find this plan doomed by design.

[...]

> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19070437
> Why are modern scientists so dull? How science selects for perseverance and
> sociability at the expense of intelligence and creativity.
> Argues that modern science selects strongly for intelligence and
> conscientiousness, when it should be selecting for intelligence and
> psychoticism (the personality trait) if it wants to break new ground.

This idea I could support. Heh. Why they become dull? Maybe because they
are made to be such. Bonsai doesn't grow high and its apples are not big
either.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola