[ExI] 23andme again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jul 1 05:54:22 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] 23andme again

>...Daaaaaaaam!   It's happened again!  And this time it was an accident.
>...At this point I would reluctantly recommend that if you don't want your
life to get crazy, don't do 23andMe...spike

Alternately, you have the option of not responding to any 23-mail.

After what I have been thru, I make the following prediction: 23andMe will
eventually end up being shut down by a tsunami of lawsuits.  I do not regret
that I did 23andMe, but in retrospect, I probably would have done it
completely anonymously and would never have responded to any 23-mail.  Even
then, I don't know if anonymous non-response is the right thing to do.  I am
open to suggestion.

Yet another belated realization: just as I am getting better at extracting
information from just what is currently public on 23andMe, it is easy to
extrapolate forward and realize that once the power of capitalism gets
behind it, the medical discoveries will come fast, and the discoveries will
be in the hands of medical insurance companies.  They will figure out ways
to study the information publicly available and how to correlate it with
known diseases.  This will lead them to offer discounts to those who agree
to submitting DNA.  The result of that will be increased insurance costs for
those who do not submit the DNA, for the insurance company will need to
assume that you privately did your own testing and that you know something
the insurance company doesn't know.  You will have no way of proving you
didn't do genetic testing.  Eventually even those companies which offer
insurance to non-DNA submitters will realize that this is a fool's bet, and
will want out of the biz.

All these ethical dilemmas just make me too crazy.  I decided against
medical school because I am no good at ethical dilemmas.  Aerospace
engineering is blessedly free of that.  With this 23 jazz, I accidently
signed up for a pile of them.  Understatement: I paid 99 bucks for a deep
pile of ethical dilemmas.  What a bargain, sheesh.