[ExI] 23andme again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Wed Jul 3 13:14:30 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] 23andme again

Il 03/07/2013 06:01, spike ha scritto:

>>... But imagine the perp does leave some trace of DNA, but that's all.
... all you need to do is wait, because more and more people sign up for
this all the time...spike

>...We have a case, in Italy, where we have traces of DNA found on the
victim of an homicide, a 13 years old girl.

>...People around the place accepted to submit their DNA ...
Not of the suspect, but of some half-brother.
The problem is the father is dead and the man have no clue about an
half-brother. So, there is no lead to him, for now.

>...Asking females to give DNA samples is so un-PC...Mirco

Disagree, there are important leads and highly informative evidence.  From
the half-brother, they know the identity of the late father.  We can
reconstruct his approximate place of residence throughout his life, then
look around for what women might have had contact with him, then later bore
an unexpected child.  This is a great example of a case that might be
solvable using crowd-sourcing.  You have plenty of people who might help for
free, because of the emotional pull of the slain child.  Plenty of people
have a teenage daughter, and if not, a niece or young cousin, and we all
have a mother.  Every parent's nightmare is the murderous child-stalker
still at large.  The case has hit a roadblock, but not necessarily a dead
end.

The next step is a worldwide legal basis for DNA sampling every guest of the
constabulary.  We currently use mugshots and fingerprints for every person
arrested, which stays on record even if the perp is released and found not
guilty.  These could be placed in some kind of database which could do
23-ish level genome matching forever.

If such a system existed, we might even have people enter it voluntarily: I
would.  Reasoning, if I have a cousin, even distant, raping children, hell
yes I want to contribute to catching the bastard.  I would have no problem
informing my brother, my cousins, uncles, parents, my own son: Hey pal, if
you sire any illegitimate children, commit burglaries or pull off any major
bank heists in which you leave any DNA, you are BUSTED, as you damn should
be.  I seriously doubt any of that crowd would object.  Many of them would
want to be in that database too.