[ExI] 23andSingularity

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 16:09:06 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> Ja, we tend to forget those who are living in modern times but are still
> not connected.  The very first step is to master some language that can be
> expressed on a standard ASCII keyboard.  Without that, they live in a
> parallel universe that doesn’t interact with ours with any significance.
> In so many important ways, they just don’t count.

According to the CIA World Factbook, there were only 2.1 billion Internet
users in 2010.

The rest of the world lives, breathes, eats, labors...but you're right,
even cumulatively their effect on the world is far less than those online.
A large part of this is that those online also happen to be those with
resources, those who are better educated, and so on, and of course those
factors have been correlated with world impact for ages.

So, that does account for the majority of humanity.  But even among the 2.1
billion who are online, how many of them choose not to post things you
could track them down by?