[ExI] DNA again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jul 9 03:56:08 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 7:22 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: [ExI] DNA again

http://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/2012/09/12/using-dna-to-trace-michelle-obamas-p
ast/?o_xid=54217&o_lid=54217&o_sch=External+Paid+Media

http://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/2012/10/08/obama-related-to-americas-first-slav
e/

Oh dear.  If true this would make me a twelfth cousin twice removed from 44.
Do let us hope there was a mistake somewhere.  Even if true, there are
*plenty* of people descended from John Punch.  There were plenty of
indentured servants who predated slavery in the US, both European and
African.  They often intermarried after their service expired, and went off
into the wilderness of the Appalachians.  This is thought to be the origin
of the Melungeons, a motley tri-racial group which included Africans,
Europeans and Native Americans.

That is where I think my own African and Amerind DNA came from.  That's my
story and I am sticking to it.

Ancestry dot com is an astonishing resource.  That, together with 23andMe,
Facebook and Spokeo gives one seemly supernatural insights.