[ExI] 23andTriangulation

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 01:13:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> If this scheme works, it could cause the phase change Anders warned us
> against.  It also points right at the ethical blind spot I mentioned that
> started this whole thing: I go into a tailspin as soon as I hold info that
> could cause damage, but I shamelessly work on an algorithm that would
> blindly triangulate and gigahertzly produce the same information a million
> times over.  I work on that algorithm without losing a wink of sleep over
> it, knowing that once that algorithm is out there I have zero control over
> it.  This is vaguely analogous to those who would work on AI, knowing that
> it could escape from the lab and create a completely unpredictable mixture
> of good and bad consequences.

shortly after my last post, I saw perhaps one of the coolest
visualization of grungy/non-regular data I've ever seen.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wolframalpha-facebook-analytics-tool-2013-7

spike (& everyone), please try this.  If you haven't already been
drawn into facebook, find someone who has and check it out.  It takes
under 3 minutes to get a Wolfram|Alpha ID if you don't already have
one and you connect via "apps" sharing to facebook - that's it.  You
get a whole lot of visualization power for free.  I think the last
time "computers" have been this entertaining to me was when I
discovered the Mandelbrot viewer  (back then you had to pick a region
and wait an hour for the image to compose, now we have fractal
'zoomers' in effectively real-time)  [i digress]

Do look at the network displays.  Imagine that kind of visualization
of the 23andMe genetic database.

Now tell me what you'd do with it.  (think larger than cherry-picking
the insurance policies)