[ExI] see you on Retroshare

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jul 11 08:36:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 07:38:57PM +0200, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> So I suspect it is uphill for most crypto-communities even when
> people see their point. But it is not a guaranteed failure, and
> having a few alternatives around is useful and might even force
> market leaders to be honest to some extent (consider how linux as an

Market leaders can't be honest by definition (because they
are registered entities subject to state regulations and
strongarming behind the scenes). Which is why Debian is
much preferrable to Ubuntu.

This is is not to say that e.g. the secret on
http://ftp-master.debian.org/keys.html is secure,
or that they can't rubberhose Theo or pull a
stealthy http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/20/freebsd_breach/

> alternative affected Apple and Microsoft).

You can be certain that all proprietary systems are
backdoored by design.