[ExI] Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 11:42:58 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Andrew Mckee  wrote:
> It was an announcement directly by Intel themselves several years or so
> back.
>
> I happened to remember it because I was using the software in question to
> manage headless render nodes where I happened to work at the time.

I think you are talking about Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT).

This is a feature demanded by corporate networks to enable remote
administration of networked computers by administrators.

<http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/vpro/vpro-technology-general.html>
<http://www.intel.com/technology/vpro/privacy/>

If you are using a corporate pc or laptop linked to their network, it
is not *your* computer. You are temporarily using a company owned and
maintained pc for business use. If you (mis)use company equipment for
personal purposes, then you should expect consequences in some cases.
Not all, it depends on the company policy.

If it is your own pc, you should make sure that AMT features are
switched off in the BIOS.

There are virus infections which also allow remote control of pcs, so
Windows antivirus and antimalware software is recommended. Even better
to use Linux Mint with hardware and software firewalls.

BillK