[ExI] [mta] Re: Bitcion Moore's Law?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Jul 16 08:40:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-16 06:41, Brent Allsop wrote:
> Lots of Lauphs!  You expect to see something other than noise in 10 year
> graphs?  Did you see the graph on this page that at least covers 100 years?
>
> http://www.numbersleuth.org/worlds-gold/

That graph shows that production has increased by a factor of ~5 over a
century. If that is exponential, the doubling time is many decades. Gold
price might have rushed over the past ~15 years with a doubling time of
5 years, but the past curve is fairly bumpy and with big plateaus -
definitely no constant doubling time.

Now, given that prices are subjective evaluations rather than objective
value, there is no physical law that precludes eternal exponential price
growth even of a finite supply of something. Or constant, declining or
oscillating prices. But the industrial side of gold production seems to
be improving very slowly: my guess is that high capital costs and the
benefits of restricted supply are disincentives to improve it. We do not
get much of Wrightean learning leading to a Sahal's law exponential
improvement in productivity.

The same might be true for bitcoin: if looking for coins requires bigger
and bigger investments the productivity per unit of effort will not
increase (unless some mathematician comes up with something clever and
blows up the whole market...) But then again, the mining is just a
clever part to motivate people and maintain a fairly fixed supply
without central coordination: the eventual viability of the currency is
pretty independent of it.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute