[ExI] sanity and connectedness, was: RE: list test

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Mon Jul 29 15:07:39 UTC 2013

Spike wrote:

>I want that, only I want Google Glass (or
>equivalent) to identify the beast and do some
>kind of image recognition and find the site,
>then tell me the information in my ear so my
>eyes are free to observe and my hands are free
>to manage the camera.  I want to have something
>analogous to a really well-informed entomology
>professor with me at all times, only better: I
>want one who can hike as well as I can, and see
>as well as I can, but be a thousand times
>smarter about bugs.  That’s all I really
>want.  When we get that, it will be the next
>step, equivalent to how it was when we first got
>the web.  Now you computer jockeys and internet hipsters, how do I get that?

Easy. Ask me to introduce you to my sister, the
entomologist. But don't get fresh; she's married
to a combat veteran twice your size.

Now, I realize you have curiosities beyond
entomology. But the solution generalizes. There
are twelve more of us siblings, and our expertise has little overlap.

Being a little less silly for a moment, I think
it's likely that any question you might have with
a known answer can be answered by someone in your
extended network. While I'm a big fan of recorded
knowledge — the sagging of my floors alone will
confirm this — and automated search, being able
to tap a billion minds in near-realtime is pretty powerful.

I suppose at some point the distinction may disappear.

-- David.