[ExI] Bullies (Was: Re: chinese synthesis)

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jun 1 14:42:22 UTC 2013

Subject: [ExI] Bullies (Was: Re: chinese synthesis)

John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> ...even church leaders have to
> concede that they cannot stop young people from dating and marrying
> whom they choose, well, unless they are romantically pursuing
> non-members, which then results in a top notch guilt trip! lol

>...That "lol" at the end rather disturbs me.

>...Do you not think this is immoral?  It is, after all, attempted
coercion.  Bullying at the very least.

>...Or am I over-reacting, and nobody takes much notice of these church
leaders?

>...Ben Zaiboc

Ben there has been a lot written about this phenomenon, specifically for
Mormons.  The Google words are "psychological dynamics of voluntary
tyranny."  The people in those kinds of organizations are there by choice,
even to some extent the children.  The teens, definitely.  They have the
option of leaving and coming back later.  Many do.  A guilt trip is
voluntary as well: if a person refuses to go on that trip, no one can make
them go.