[ExI] Space Gnats (Was: Re: Gold)

Alan Grimes ALONZOTG at verizon.net
Sat Jun 1 18:10:12 UTC 2013

BillK wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Ben Zaiboc wrote:
> I like the idea, but solid-state doesn't mean you can travel at the
> speed of light.
> Solid means a solid block with no moving parts, except the electrons
> (photons?) inside.

> So you still have to find the power to drive a block up to high speeds
> and slow it down at the far end.

> But your idea of intelligences travelling at light speed might still
> be feasible if the computronium block was sent on ahead and waited for
> the mind to be lasered across the solar system into it. If your
> standard Type 1483 mind bricks were scattered around, then minds might
> be able to connect to empty bricks and move at light speed, leaving an
> empty brick behind for someone else.

W R 0 N G ! ! !

The fastest travel time using that method is a bit worse than C/3

Here's a reasonable protocol:

1. Transmitter broadcasts a fuck-ton of data into the ether.

2. Receiver computes a checksum on each block and broadcasts it back to
the sender to prove that it's radio was switched on and that it actually
received something usable.

3. Depending on the reply, the transmitter either goes back to #1 or
broadcasts a "Clear to continue" message.

4. The receiver begins computations. Conceivably, you could shorten this
by including the checksums with the initial transmission but, given the
payload, it seems more reasonable that the sender have as much control
over the process as possible.

--
NOTICE: NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS, SEE ABOVE

Powers are not rights.