[ExI] chinese synthesis

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Jun 3 23:51:54 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 23:04, BillK wrote:
> German is famous - or notorious - for making compound words, often to
> describe something legal or scientific. They are known in Germany as
> "tapeworm" words.

The Swedish counterpart is ordmonster - literally word-monsters.
According to Guinness the longest Swedish compound word is
nordvästersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskussionsinläggsförberedelsearbeten
I actually used a variant of this when lecturing on hyphenation
algorithms! ...that was likely the closest this word has ever come to
being used for anything. Had it denoted something real (apparently a
bureaucratic procedure within the material administration of a flight
simulator for the northwestern coastal artillery) it would have been
turned into an acronym or nickname, of course.

The longest word in the Swedish Academy Word List is merely
realisationsvinstbeskattning (a form of tax, which is all too real).
When playing Swedish Scrabble that word list is the official final
arbiter, but this word cannot be written in Scrabble since it is too
long for the board.

I like compound words. Most are not too complex, just two or three
components joined together and with a tight semantic coupling. Nothing
to be scared of.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute