[ExI] Fukushima radiation disaster toll: 0?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 7 11:08:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 03:43:31AM -0700, Gordon wrote:
> I still worry about another major earthquake hitting Japan before they can fix reactor 4. Are my concerns unfounded?
>
> Fukushima Reactor 4 poses massive global risk
> http://www.ctvnews.ca/fukushima-reactor-4-poses-massive-global-risk-1.829254

I don't worry about that at all.

Do you know what I worry about?

That Japan had set themselves up to be suddenly reliant upon
massive imports of fossil fuels just as they're peaking.

This will crater their economy even deeper than it already is.
I don't see how they're going to recover from that, without
introducing massive austerity programs which will cripple
their ability to retool for renewable energy resources.

Dunno, I think some very public acts of sepukku on parts
of responsible officials are in order. Not that it will
change anything, but at least there used to be some form
of honor in a honorless caste.