[ExI] Do online courses spell the end for the traditional university?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jun 9 10:36:12 UTC 2013

On 09/06/2013 03:20, James Clement wrote:
> Publishing, music, shopping, journalism -- all revolutionised by the
> internet. Next in line? Education.

I think this is an apt comparision. It is not so much that everything
universities are doing is doomed, but that (1) some segments will be
seriously changed, and (2) that the business model will have to change.
I have posted to the list about this topic before, looking at how
different roles change.

Online courses seem really transformative in the areas where teaching is
mostly about distributing semantic information and having people
interact with it, especially if one can automate testing and
experimentation - mathematics might be a prime example. I am less
convinced they work for practical procedural skills: not only might it
be hard to train chemical synthesis or welding this way, doing
procedural tasks like accounting might be tricky. Similarly evaluation
difficulties in domains where the output is natural language (like law)
might be problematic. But these issues are a bit like what goods are
easy to sell via Amazon - yeah, pets might be less practical than books,
but that doesn't mean you can't do greats in the non-pet market.

Sitting on the pure research side I am less concerned, of course. Here
the internet has already transformed things by making everybody within
the same language sphere accessible to everybody else, and by the
ongoing earthquakes in scientific publishing. One interesting aspect is
of course that global collaboration has become easier - not super-easy,
since keeping momentum when you do not meet in the coffee room all the
time is tricky - but definitely easier. One of my most productive
co-authors is 99% of the time in Germany, and it always feels surprising
to meet him in RL.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute