[ExI] commentary from those safely outside: RE: [ZS] [cryo] Nick Bostrom, Anders Sandberg, Stuart Armstrong to be frozen after death

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jun 11 06:31:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 09:03:12AM -0700, spike wrote:

> I have a question for you and those of you who are safely outside the
> system: have you any commentary on what is happening in the USA?  In just the

Business as usual. Empire's busy failing. Orlov's slides from 2006 still
apply

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2006-12-04/closing-collapse-gap-ussr-was-better-prepared-collapse-us

> past few weeks, we have seen it revealed the IRS is corrupt to the bone and
> is targeting its political adversaries, the Justice Department is apparently
> corrupt and is targeting news agencies, and when caught assigns itself to
> investigate itself, and now our National Security Agency is being reported by
> an insider to be recording everything.  Clearly I am not in a position to

Exactly, business as usual. Nothing to see here.

Those people who are now surprised have not been paying attention,
and due to their short attention span they will forget in 3, 2, 1,
oh, a bright and shiny object.

So I'm not sure this is even an opportunity to educate.
It does however motivate a small community to at least make
the surveillance part more challenging. We have to thank our
valiant leaker and the general bureukratchik bungling for that.

> comment: I could be called in for an IRS audit and never heard from again.
> But you can.  It appears that all that stuff the alarmists were alarming
> about has become alarming.  Comments?

Far less interesting than what is going on is how it's going to affect
your long-term plans. Specifically for the US we know it's going to
get worse, a lot. I don't know when exactly and how exactly it happens,
but I wouldn't want to be there. If you want economical advice for
an exit strategy, I'd check out International Man from Casey Research
and Sovereign Man (Simon Black) -- notice both of them are trying
to sell you something, so you have to compensate for that.

I do think that the investing into agriculture part is pretty sound,
but don't blame me if it isn't.

Europe is at least as screwed up, but in a slightly different way.
If you're not yet feeling like a sitting duck, you should.

We can discuss it in more detail, but we need more constraints
for that first. Is it about you personally, about a small community
or the big picture?