[ExI] [ZS] [cryo] Nick Bostrom, Anders Sandberg, Stuart Armstrong to be frozen after death

Gregory Lewis gjlewis37 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 22:53:47 UTC 2013

[New person: Pre-emptive apologies for inadvertent breaches of
listequette etc.]

I think it's at least controversial whether indefinite life extension
(or any life extension) would be a pro tanto good thing from a
utilitarian perspective. Although extension does avoid upfront
'investment costs' in terms of making a new human, and limits the
incidence of the badness of death if everyone lives longer, there are
come concerns in favour of not extending lives and having more rapid
cycling of persons under a given resource constraint.

1. Given we time discount, and possible 'low hanging fruit' concerns,
lifespan may have decreasing marginal value. So (depending on investment
costs, and degree of decay) many short lives might be better than a
single long life, even on strictly aggregative consequentialism.

2. If you're a prioritarian (hold that a given increment of value is
better given to someone with less value than someone with more, all else
equal; or that the welfare to value function is concave), then you might
prefer many shorter lives over one long one even at the expense of some
total value. It might be generally fairer/better to package lifespan in
many small packets than one large one, so fewer potential people 'miss
out' on the goods of having existed at all.

Obviously, lots of complicated ethics (esp. population ethics) underlie
all of these (should we value those who *could exist* with similar
weight to those who actually do? Is not-existing harmful, or bringing
into existence beneficial?) And all sorts of empirical things can change
the calculus (AIs, rejuvenation, etc.). Despite all that, there seem a
fairly large plurality of scenarios where life extension is not a good
thing.