[ExI] [New_Cryonet] Invitation to join an online conversation

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jun 13 11:15:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:01:01PM +0100, BillK wrote:

> Has the NSA and Google agreed?  ;)

I advised against Hangouts, and we tried
OpenQwaq with good results, but Hangouts
still emerged as the default.

There are options like Jitsi which you
can run on your own server. Given that
Google has given the boot to open standards
like XMPP Hangouts are not officially Deprecated.
As is G+, and Gmail.

> Presumably he means that he personally will not be recording anything.
> As you know, anything that passes across someone's screen could be
> recorded by them.
> (and re-distributed, of course).

At least you'd know it was one of participants.
The problem with automatic data collection is
that it's large scale, and you have to assume it
happens whenever you're using a corporate service
(because corporations can be strong-armed into
cooperation more easily than volunteers distributed
all over the world.