[ExI] [ZS] Edward Snowden's Transhumanist Girlfriend

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Jun 14 22:15:32 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-14 11:25, spike wrote:
> The recent revelation is that the IRS has vast and arbitrary power and
> apparently exactly zero accountability.

This is the important point. Not really any issues of surveillance or
government power, but the fact that it is secret and unaccountable.

I strongly recommend
http://www.harvardlawreview.org/symposium/papers2012/richards.pdf
The Dangers of Surveillance by Neil M. Richards. He does a great
analysis from a legal perspective, somewhat mirroring my own on
http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2013/06/secret-snakes-biting-their-own-tails-secrecy-and-surveillance/
(but his is much better). The key point is that secret surveillance is
illegitimate.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute