[ExI] A vote of no-confidence

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 13:39:32 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM, spike wrote:
<snip>
> Most of us realize the libertarians’ day is coming.  When they get in power,
> there is a risk they will forget their principles, fail to dismantle all the
> government power structures that have grown outside constitutionally legal
> bounds.  Always in my mind is the fear that they too will be as inept and
> corruptible as the democrats and republicans have become.

I doubt that (apart from wishful thinking). Libertarians are too
isolated, independent. Power groups can separate them and pick them
off one by one. If they ever do try to form a larger grouping, it will
quickly fall apart into infighting and lots of sects. "I'm more
libertarian than you!"  Look at the history of Protestantism.

What is happening already in Europe as the economy worsens is people
voting for any new party that promises something different. UKIP in
UK, New Dawn in Greece, Grillo in Italy. The hope is that 'something
different' will be better than the corrupt politics we have at
present.

Longer-term, I think the Internet will drastically change politics.
There are lots changes coming along with the next generation. Let's
hope the imminent destruction of the present system leaves enough for
them to work with. :)

BillK