[ExI] 23andme again

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 26 10:48:17 UTC 2013

"spike" <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> Zowwie, 23andMe has put me into a hell of an ethical dilemma, or perhaps
> more accurately, I have put myself in an ethical dilemma.  Advice or comment
> from ethical hipsters most welcome.

Not an 'ethical hipster', but my common-sense says contact the guy, give him the facts, ask what /he/ wants.  Assure him that if he says no, you won't give away any information that may lead to him, but make sure he understands that this information is now easy to come by.

No telling if he would be appalled or delighted, but in my book, his 'right' to decide if he wants anything to do with the child is at least equal to the child's 'right' to know who their biological father is.  He should at least know what the situation is though, and how things have changed to make this sort of thing possible.  Any conflicts need to be thrashed out between them, and are none of anybody else's business.

It's up to you to decide if making the effort to find and contact him is something you want to do or feel you should do, of course.

Ben Zaiboc