[ExI] bees again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Mar 4 15:07:57 UTC 2013

On 04/03/2013 13:17, BillK wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>> Nah, food fraud have always been with us. Today we are just seeing the
>> collision of 1) very long and complex supply chains, 2) much better
>> detection methods thanks to DNA fingerprinting, and 3) the ability to do
>> very broad media reporting. The result is that things look much worse when
>> it might actually be improving (a bit like crime).
> Yes, but.......
> In earlier times contaminated food was mostly due to a lack of
> regulation (and a lack of knowledge about bacteria). But nowadays,
> food fraud is deliberate ignoring of regulations for profit. i.e.
> criminal intent.

Read up on the history of food fraud. People have been lying about what
they have been selling (illegal) since forever - the Romans and Greek
had laws instituted to deal with wine and olive oil adulteration. Check out:
http://www.pbs.plymouth.ac.uk/PLR/vol1/Shears_proofedv.pdf
http://www.amazon.com/Swindled-History-Poisoned-Counterfeit-Coffee/dp/0691138206
http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=mXVu-sTiSIUC&oi=fnd&pg=PA77&dq=history+%22food+fraud%22&ots=EcxIyfMXRr&sig=8lyefAyoN9RpSjRposO5bZDzdDg#v=onepage&q=history%20%22food%20fraud%22&f=false

More academic: