[ExI] bees again

spike spike at rainier66.com
Wed Mar 6 14:35:53 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg

>...One insight: it might be stupid to depend too much on Apis mellifera. We
should have a more robust pollination service. Wish I had a beetle for it...

Exactly.  Step 1 is to stop making honey sales part of or most of the
beekeepers profit.  And of course dope smuggling from Mexico, but that's
different.  Sorta.

On 06/03/2013 05:11, spike wrote:
>>... I previously left unstated my bride's attitude toward this whole
> experiment of bees reviving and taking flight inside the abode: she
> was not amused. That lass just doesn't love bees the way her old man does.

>...I think this is a common problem. There is a book about the beetle
collection of the Nobel laureate Thomas Tranströmer, written by a fellow
entemologist and author. It begins with a scene where they are sitting and
boasting about the species they had in their boyhood collections, while
"...in the kitchen, as wives of beetle collectors tend to do, our spouses
were laughing at us."

--
>...Anders Sandberg

Well ja, there is that.  But I lack a shred of human dignity: it matters not
to me whether she is laughing at me or laughing with me, so long as she is
laughing.  She wasn't laughing at the bees in the house.  I didn't see why
it was a big deal, all we had to do is leave the doors open.  Of course that
allowed some of what might have been my most important data to fly away.
But my bride calmed down after that data was gone.