[ExI] Musical instruments in space

spike spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 8 15:07:37 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] Musical instruments in space

Spike wrote:

>>...Excellent question.  Ron McNair took a saxophone into orbit in 1984...

>...Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield is on ISS with a Larrivée acoustic
guitar...He has recorded music on ISS and is working on an album...

Oy that will be the most expensive album in history.

>... The microgravity affects his playing: He has to look at his left hand
to see what fret he's at.
I think that he'd adapt over time...

We can test that on the ground: hang upside down and see how the hand does.

>>...Aboard the space station, no modifications would be needed...

>...Of course, you'd better pack enough reeds to last you on one-way trips
to Mars or Ganymede...-- David.

Nah, we would make them with a 3-D printer.  Does anyone here have a
printer?  Try making an alto sax reed, I will test it.