[ExI] Is future progress moving to virtual reality?

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 10 16:13:06 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of PJ Manney
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 9:24 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Is future progress moving to virtual reality?

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quote from the article:
>>... Disney's pessimistic attitude towards the rate of current advancement
> comes from a place of truth. New, revolutionary ideas were coming out
> on a consistent basis in the mid 1900s during Walt Disney's
> generation, but near the late 1900s progress as a whole slowed down...

>...Please don't extrapolate grand historical trends from BS.  The Walt
Disney Company doesn't change Tomorrowland because Disney's leaders since
Walt's death don't care about the future.  They can't see beyond the next
dividend payment schedule or stock price expectation...PJ

Ja and there is another important thing here.  A huge market today is in
grandparents taking their grandchildren to Disneyland and Disneyworld, and
reliving how it was when they were the age their grandchildren are now.  I
was about 10 when Epcot opened.  I can see plenty of stuff there today that
looks vintage.  I can see how it would be fun to take grandchildren to see
that, see the world again through their eyes.

It is the CEO's job to maximize profits.  Profit is good.  Profit is the
future.  Vintage futurism is what the people want.  Real futurism is to be
found in places like the San Jose Tech Museum, to some extent.