[ExI] Rand Paul Filibuster

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 20:56:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

Domestic crime is not a military concern. The Department of
> Homeland Security along with the Patriot Act of course muddies these
> waters considerably.

### Some long-term considerations obtain:

1) Drones are rapidly getting cheaper
2) Drones are getting more and more effective and will soon be capable
of very precise application of both lethal and non-lethal coercive
influence against human targets both indoors and outdoors
3) There is a growing divide within the US society between the working
elites and the ever less useful proles

These three trends could in the long term (i.e. 20 - 30 years, right
up to the singularity) mean that increasingly narrow elites would no
longer have to rely primarily on social engineering techniques
(propaganda) to maintain docility of an increasingly large part of the
society to maintain control.  Manpower will no longer be needed to
efficiently coerce opponents, therefore consent would need to be
obtained only from a diminishing number of players.

I doubt that the precedents we are discussing are going to have a
negative impact on my life. The UFAI will emerge long before the decay
of the American society progresses far enough to make a drone civil
war possible. Still, a certain nagging feeling of unease remains.

"Look up!" could soon acquire a more sinister meaning.

Rafal