[ExI] Old Programming Languages

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Mar 18 01:52:14 UTC 2013

I'm of course a total whipper-snapper when it comes to programming,
having grown up with BASIC like any child of the 70-80s. But I did learn
how to program early 1950s machine code.

The reason was my teacher, Thorbjörn Alfredsson, who had been a graduate
student in the BESK project, Sweden's second computer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BESK
He had the distinction of being probably the only person to have his
foot crushed by a falling byte - he had extended the drawer in the rack
of Williams-tubes too far and dropped it on his foot.

As an exercise in high-school he had us write programs in its
instruction set. Not too different from modern machine code, although
the initial "Load two instructions from the paper tape" instruction was
a bit unusual (one instruction was 20 bits, the word length was 40, so
it loaded one word at a time). All programs began by a sequence of the
instruction to load enough of the program into memory; if you had a long
program it might have to overwrite some parts of itself during
execution. To actually start the program you flipped switches manually
on the front to set up the command at address zero in memory and pressed
'go'.

I later had Hans Riesel - the big prime guy in Sweden - across the hall
when I was at KTH. He used BESK in 1957 to find the Mersenne prime
2^3217-1.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute