[ExI] cyprus banks

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Mon Mar 18 14:34:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, spike wrote:

[...]
> Any rescue attempt I would think would need to come from those who own
> property, not those who own currency.  Reasoning: they have just
> incentivized the Cypriots and pretty much everyone else holding euros to
> convert them to metals.

Yeah. And then expect following people knocking to your doors: robbers,
government agents, r-s disguised as ga-s, ga-s disguised as r-s, an so on,
all coming to confiscate your metals. Legally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

It was particularly funny, because in 1933 they used a law from 1917, long
after WW1 was finished. So, before you start collecting, better check if
all those old papers have been repealed, so they don't get your metals
with help of WW1-era or Big-Crisis-era statute.

Of course if they want, they can make a new law on as needed basis. So you
may as well not check out anything.

In the above case, there was almost a month given to citizen, so that he
had plenty of time to decrim himself. For comparison, in a communist
country, a law like this was introduced overnight, including devaluation
or exchange of money (no taxes, no confiscation, just your money was worth
only half of what they used to be worth a day before... or just 3% of old
value in case of bank account and 1% in case of cash... or one had to sell
his gold at not-so-good price... people who got any kind of hint tried
frantically to buy something before everybody will know).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola