[ExI] cyprus banks

spike spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 19 19:57:42 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] cyprus banks

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:35:04 +1200, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

>>... Andrew I have a question from your comment.  The Greeks are trying to
> instill austerity measures, which are highly unpopular.  One school of
> thought holds that it will make the Greek economy worse.  What is the
> alternative?

>...Errr, print more money just like the US has been doing lately?...

Greece is on the euro, so that is not one of their options.  Otherwise they
would have exercised it, surely.

>...but of course give it a lofty technical sounding name so that they don't
scare the woman and children and the other timid folk...

Ja, but that didn't work.  Even with their lofty names, that act has scared
women, children, timid and bold.

>>...  So what happens then?

>...Hang on a tic I'll give the magic 8 ball a shake, hmmm, it says 'Things
will be more or less like they are now, with the exception that the poor
will be slightly poorer, and the rich handsomely richer'

Sounds like the robbery may have been foiled.  Usually some desperate prole
robs a bank.  This time some desperate banks robbed the proles.  But the
headlines are ambiguous.  Sounds to me like it was stopped?  Europeans, our
news agencies are puzzled on how to report this story with the usual
political spin, so they end up writing confusing and apparently
self-contradictory stories.  Did the Cypriot banks take the money or not?