[ExI] Bosch exits Solar business in Germany

spike spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 29 04:29:29 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] Bosch exits Solar business in Germany

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
>>... Of course if the claims regarding graphene membrane desalination are
> true, then we need not go to all the theatrics of a pipe reaching the
> bottom of the Mariana Trench.  A graphene membrane osmotic filter a
> mere 40 meters below the surface would begin to supply fresh water

>...That almost sounds testable.

>...How much, do you suppose, would it take to rig up that experiment?
A 40 meter pipe or perhaps a bit more, some graphene membrane to cap it,
boat rental...what else, and how much would it all cost?

>...And would anyone we know be able to execute a Kickstarter campaign well
enough to raise the funding for this experiment, with the results to be
published openly?

We wouldn't need a boat or any pipe.  An ordinary high pressure pump used in
any chemistry lab can easily manage 4 bars.  A bucket of seawater, a
graphene membrane, and we are in business, no kickstarter needed.  If we
decide we want to use pipes, ordinary schedule 40 PVC pipe would do, the
kind available at the local hardware store.  Put our graphene filter at the
bottom, run the pipe up along a building about 12 storeys high, fill the
pipe with the seawater, there you have your 4 bars.

The report that contained the original claim didn't give any details
regarding the graphene membrane however.  I can imagine those details may be
much harder to come by than producing a paltry 60 psi water column.