[ExI] Deep ocean osmotic membranes

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 31 20:31:12 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Keith Henson
Subject: [ExI] Deep ocean osmotic membranes

>...Per recent discussion, it is expensive to clean up salt water to the
point it will not clog osmotic membranes.  So after clean up, the standard
practice is to pump the water pressure up to where about 2/3rds of it goes
through the membrane leaving 1/3 of the volume as brine.

Keith this paper is brilliance, me lad!

I agree, it seems there should be some way to do this, extract fresh water
without enormous pressure differentials.  We know that plants grow in the
sea: the giant kelp beds.  I have devour seaweed, and it clearly does not
taste as salty as seawater.  Therefore, my reasoning tells me that kelp
somehow osmosises or osmosizes, or osmizes fresh water, or otherwise
extracts (since I know how to spell that verb) fresh or freshish water using
sunlight somehow.  So if dumb old plants can do it, blind, brainless members
of that lowly kingdom, we smart guys up at the pinnacle of technological
intelligence scale on the ranking taxonomic division should be able to
figure out how to do it, even if we need to employ the chlorophyll-meisters.