[ExI] Digital Consciousness

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 08:55:01 UTC 2013

Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Brent is one of those people speculating about it. While I haven't had time to study his posts in detail, I find myself in general agreement with the thrust of his argument. He is trying to understand how brain matter becomes mindful. Does glutamate play a role? Maybe, maybe not, but I think these are the right kinds of questions.

It's funny, because I think that these are exactly the wrong kinds of questions.  Rather than asking how "brain matter becomes mindful", we should be asking how brains are organised so that they produce minds.  We don't ask what it is about carbon that makes it leaf-like, do we?  That's the wrong question.  The right (i.e. useful) question is: How is carbon organised so as to give rise to leaves?

Ben Zaiboc