[ExI] Digital Consciousness

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 14:45:56 UTC 2013

Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I believe thoughts are material things - I am not a dualist of any kind. I also believe the brain is not inherently like a digital computer. I can argue both those points.

I think we'd probably all agree on those points.

> If one accepts the conclusions of those two arguments, it follows that thoughts are intrinsic to the biology of the brain

This doesn't follow at all!  Those two points may, or may not, be related.  Remember: Correlation Is Not Causation.

(This, of course, is independent of the fact that many non-digital things can be reproduced by a digital computer, so the observation that the brain isn't one /simply doesn't matter/.  No-one objects that computers can't create highly accurate models of bridges because bridges aren't inherently like digital computers.  This point has been repeated ad nauseam on here, without any sensible refutation, and without it seeming to make any dent in your apparent conviction that it can't be so).

Ben Zaiboc