[ExI] Digital Consciousness

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Sun May 5 06:03:19 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Brains are not like digital computers.
> Brains are biological organs, not fundamentally different from livers or
> kidneys.

Livers and kidneys are computers: they are physical systems that
evolve in time and interact with their environment according to well
known physical laws and stored programs. In fact, there are already
artificial livers and kidneys, built from scratch in the lab to
perform exactly the same functions of livers and kidneys in biological
organisms.

Same for brains.

A valid caveat is that, according to minority opinions in the
neuroscience community, e.g. quantum consciousness and stuff),
explaining the brain/mind system may require exotic physics not yet
fully understood. But even in this case, the physics will be
understood someday (my non-negotiable point is that nothing is beyond
the grasp of science in principle), and the knowledge will be used to
create artificial brains.