[ExI] Digital Consciousness

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon May 6 17:37:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm not even sure what "replicate the I/O behavior" means when

I would think its self explanatory, same input sense data producing the
same output behavior.

> we're discussing NCC neurons and qualia.

Yes we are but the discussion is difficult when you don't seem able to
grasp that if those "neural correlates of consciousness" don't also
correlate with something that Evolution can see, like intelligent behavior,
then Charles Darwin was dead wrong; and these days only a fool thinks
Darwin was wrong. This question was answered in 1859 and the fact that it's
still being argued about even by people on this list who should know better
is a depressing mystery to me! Perhaps it's the result of the Jesus freaks
keeping Evolution out of the schools.

> Are qualia inputs? Or are they outputs?

They are neither and that is exactly why we can only infer and not observe
the existence of qualia in other people or in other computers.

  John K Clark