[ExI] Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?

spike spike at rainier66.com
Tue May 7 20:33:55 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Tomasz Rola

On Tue, 7 May 2013, spike wrote:

[...]
>> ...  Wind and ground-based solar, cohabitating out where
> there isn't much of anything, with the occasional nuke, all of it
> making power to synthesize fertilizer and convert coal to liquid
> fuels, that is the way...

>...Spike, I wrote what I wrote about my options, because all other factors
being equal, I would choose nukes and solar first...

Me too!  All three: ground based solar, nukes and wind.  My contribution is
that we should park all of them way the hell out of the way, then use the
power to convert coal or biomass  to liquids and synthesize ammonium
nitrate, rather than send the power to the cities by cable.

>>... Check out that nifty wind map linked above.  Is there something like
> this map for Europe and Asia?

>...Something like this?

>...http://www.meteoblue.com/en_GB/weather/map/wind/europe

>...I liked your map but mine draws vector field :-) Regards, Tomasz Rola

Cool thanks Tomasz.  I want one of those vector maps for the states.  {8-]

Question please, for Europe hipsters.  Do you guys have some big open areas
where there just isn't much of anything, analogous to the US desert
southwest, somewhere in Europe?  If not, how about buying up some land in
the Sahara and using that abundant solar and wind power down there?  That
land would hafta be cheaper than sand down there, a few Euros per hectare,
ja?  I know Asia has big stretches of nothing in some places.